As mental health awareness month and the last full month of spring, May is a big month for our At Last Naturals community. As a brand built upon helping women navigate the various phases of life, we strive to offer support both mentally and physically.
As we focus on our mental health, we feel both ease discomfort knowing that summer is right around the corner. While days are longer, brighter, and full of life — summer also brings uncomfortable heat, sunshine, and fine lines.
Don’t worry, we have some advice to help you cultivate a healthy mind spirit, and skincare routine, so you can make the most of the May flowers and summer days to come.
May is mental health awareness month.
One of the most important things to remember when dealing with mental health (no matter your age) is: you’re not alone.
- In the last year, nearly 16 million people in the U.S. went through at least one major depressive episode.
- Since 2012, depression rates in young people (ages 13-18) have increased from 5.9% to 8.2%.
- 20% of young people have or will encounter a serious mental health issue in their lifetime.
- Roughly 4% of adults experience a serious mental illness in a given year.
It’s important to note that menopause (commonly and uncoincidentally referred to as “mentalpause” and menofog”) plays a unique role in your mental health. As a phase of life when your hormones are out of whack — many women can experience mood swings, feelings of isolation, anxiety, and depression — in tandem with their physical symptoms. That’s a lot to handle!
Regardless of your age, if you experience mental health issues, we want you to know that we see you and we’re here for you. We also want to share a few tips for focusing on your mental health during various seasons of life.
- Talk about it. When you find a safe, nurturing community, you can find others who relate to you and openly discuss how you feel. It always helps to be reminded you’re not alone.
- Prioritize sleep. Sleep is essential in balancing and regulating the chemicals in your brain that manage your emotions. Lack of sleep can lead to so many issues, including anxiety and depression.
- Practice mindfulness and manage stress. We’ve mentioned this before, but mindfulness practices like deep breathing can calm your nervous system and reduce stress. Reducing stress can improve your sleep and help to balance your brain’s chemicals.
- Move your body. Get sunlight while you do so, too! Back to those chemicals in your brain — movement and fresh air can also help regulate them, but exercise can also give you a unique feeling of accomplishment to boost your self-image and mental health.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, and other drugs. Maybe you’re familiar with “hangxiety,” the feeling of anxiety, dread, and sometimes panic that happens after a night of drinking. It’s a clear reminder that substances can take a huge toll on our mental health. You can easily improve your mood, mental health, and clarity by limiting (or staying away) from them.
- Do something for yourself every day. This is what life’s all about. It’s so easy to get caught up in your responsibilities — caring for others before yourself. But for the sake of your mental health (and overall quality of life!) we want you to do something for yourself, every single day.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for help. At any moment, no matter how “minor” a mental health issue may seem to you, don’t hesitate to ask for help. Reach out to family + friends, your doctor, a therapist, or a mental health helpline.
Have you noticed that this advice overlaps with a lot of our advice for dealing with menopause?
Whether you’re dealing with menopausal emotions, PMS mood swings, or life in general, our wild yam products work to provide you with fast comfort, cooling, and relief. Treat yourself to a little extra support.
Memorial Day is around the corner.
On top of discussing the importance of mental health, we can’t talk about May without mentioning Memorial Day.
As we honor all of the fallen members of the U.S. Armed Forces, there’s no doubt that this holiday involves a lot of sunshine and outdoor American pastimes. While sunshine is amazing for boosting moods and lifting spirits, it can definitely be tough on the skin.
Make sure you’re using SPF protection and starting+ending the day with an effective, naturally-derived MSM skincare routine. Organic sulfur is the magic ingredient for fighting acne, sun damage, fine lines, and the signs of aging, while vitamin E and aloe soothe and replenish your skin’s moisture.
Let’s close out spring with positivity.
The dark days of winter are out of sight, and we hope spring has reinvigorated your spirit. As you celebrate the new season and prepare for the hot days to come, treat yourself (or your lucky loved one!) to a little pampering.